Sunday, November 10, 2013

The Problem with Ginger Beer - Definition of the problem

I've been having a look at making ginger beer again. Something that's bothered me is that all of the instructions I've seen have called for plastic bottles. So I got to thinking... why plastic? Because they don't explode... only... why would glass explode?

It's to do with sugar. Given that carbonation (bubbles) occurs from building up pressure of CO₂ - accomplished when yeast turns sugar into alcohol, and ginger beer being a sweet drink, means that there's the tendency to use too much sugar. The pressure builds beyond what's needed to carbonise the drink.

In other words, you can have a dry ginger beer, that doesn't explode, or a sweet one, which you have to store in plastic bottles (the reason plastic bottles works is that you can give them a squeeze - when they're rock hard, put them in the fridge to drop the temperature below what the yeast needs to carr on).... Or, use an non-fermentable sugar.

So I'm about to start experimenting... I'll post up a recipe when I've got something that I think works....

No comments:

Post a Comment