Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Making Mo' Dough

I finally pulled out my bread maker and have started using it.

There's something to be said about it. If you find kneading dough therapeutic then a bread maker is probably the worst thing ever. If you just want to throw a few ingredients into a bucket type thing, press a button or two and be done, then a bread maker is brilliant.

I've been having the argument about whether you save money by using a bread maker. If a loaf of bread costs around $5 (unless you're into that white stuff that feels like playdough in your mouth which is probably closer to $3 / loaf) but the ingredients / loaf is only around $0.80 which we'll round up to $1 to cover electricity... then if the bread maker costs around $100, you only need to make around 25 loaves before it starts paying off.

In my case our household is going through around 2 loaves / week.

I was using a recipe off the Internet which Renedox saw and rolled his eyes at. It really was ridiculous... as follows:

1¼ cups water
3⅓ cups bread flour
1½ tsps salt
2 tbsps sugar
2 tbsps nonfat dry milk powder
2 tbsps butter
1½ tsps yeast

Look at it... the amount of salt and sugar and butter. One of the first things that bothered me about this recipe is that the bread came out sweet. I HATE sweet bread. It's either a cake or bread... if it's a cake, then be a damn cake. If it's bread, then I want to be able to eat it with things like tomatoes - which don't really go with sweet things.

Anyway, the whole point of this post... I've been mucking around with the recipe quite a lot and now have a little scrap of paper with an all new, what I think is a much more reasonable recipe. If only there was a place I could put such information for myself and share it all at the same time.... if only.

This makes a 1.5lb loaf (I have no idea why my bread maker talks in imperial measurements). Oh... if you're wondering why a recipe is just a list of ingredients, it's because for a bread maker you just throw the ingredients in and push a button.... there's no order to it or anything.

1¼ cups water
2 cups white flour
1½ cups wholemeal flour (because I prefer a little texture in my bread)
a pinch of salt
2 tsps sugar (You need some sugar for the yeast. I'm going to try halving this the next time I make a loaf)
1 tbsp nonfat dry milk powder (you get a slight milky taste which reminds me of a white vienna)
1½ tsps yeast
a small dash of oil (This is just plain easier than butter. Not all oils are created equal - there are oils that have some health benefits).

No comments:

Post a Comment