Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Revisit

Quick update:
Sorry to anyone who read the post and found that there was a really old post somewhere in there... Just plain disgusting. Normally I would publish a post and then read it again just to make sure it was okay. I'm not sure why I didn't this time around but there you go.

I haven't really been doing that many posts of late. It's only partially because of my mood. I want to write stuff but then realise that I've written it before. The problem with that is that while they're perfectly valid bits and pieces, unless you've gone back over the bits that I have written or have been following this blog for quite a while, those things, that are still valid, are essentially locked away in time.

Last week I was telling someone about the $2 project and they seemed fascinated. The $2 project you ask? Let's rehash that... Basically I came across the "Live below the line" campaign and got to thinking. At $2.25 / day it's going to effect your energy levels. Either which ways, you're going to be feeling like crap. So if I were to do it, I was trying to figure out what was more important. Feeling full or getting the nutritional value. I concluded it was probably better to have at least a healthy meal. But then, there's a certain arrogance there. People have been doing this for a very long time. In India, the poor tend to have a shared curry - all off a central plate and only as much as they can afford to expend on a meal - and then eat rice to full themselves up.

I got to thinking. How could this be reflected in a very normal part of life kind of a way? If the campaign is about consciousness, then how do you make it something that people can be conscious of on a daily basis as opposed to just 5 days out of the year?

So the challenge is to come up with a bunch of recipes that I can make for $2.25 each. If I'm spending that much per meal, and there are people out there spending that much per day, then I'm definitely living in excess.

I found this really easy last year. I've started up again and am finding all sorts of interesting bargains. 6 chicken sausages for $2.40 (though they had to be dealt with immediately). 10 fish fillets for $4.30. And a real staple of mine - frozen prawn meat for $20 a bag. Add market vegetables, a bit of rice and you've got yourself a meal.

I'm going through the whole job application process at the moment. I've ranted and raved for years on this blog about how flawed I think the job application process is.

Starting from the level of abstraction - trying to find someone, farming it out to HR, who farm it out to an employment agency. While the employment agency is obsessed with "skills" (check boxes), chances are, the person actually looking for someone is after a particular attitude.

This leads to job advertisements not really covering what a job is REALLY about. In fact, we seldom know what it is we're applying to. Unless you've had some experience with the company, an "office assistant" could mean that you're taking on an administrative type or role, or a janitorial one. Who would know?

How CVs are designed to distil contaminants out of a person - like personality. We're all taught to make CVs as boring as humanly possible and then told to stand out when there are potentially hundreds of applicants for a job. The only chance you've really got is a cover letter.

The cover letter that is just soooooo boilerplate that it leaves you wanting to stab yourself in the ear with a pencil whenever you have to write one.

Douchey rejection letters that are all boilerplate. Those that have applied to more than a few jobs can probably recite the 2 or 3 slightly different worded rejection letters that may or may not come.

The interview where you're expected to be interviewed for the job rather than figuring out if the job is even close to being right for you. Things being fair, the potential employer would cull down the applicants then invite those on the short list to interview them (the potential employer) about the job.

Basically, I don't think anyone is happy with the results of all of this. It's never the best person for the job. It's the one that can navigate their way through a horrendously flawed system (unless the job description is navigating your way through horribly flawed systems).

Capitalism sucks. We know it... We need to change it.

Oh - and the media STILL sucks a big fat one. I don't watch a lot of TV and don't buy newspapers any more. I was thinking that I might start picking out a story every so often and pointing out how horribly flawed the story is which would mean actually seeking out news...

There we go. My equivalent to an "episode" made up of a bunch of other "episodes".

No comments:

Post a Comment