Monday, July 29, 2013

Finding the Tech

I've been having a bit of a play with Wordpress. Perfect for this blog but not up to scratch when it comes to my whole media idea. Media idea? I've been running with the idea of a news summary. Truth be told, I'm feeling kind of trapped. I don't know what I'm doing with my life.

Gah! Okay... let's start from the beginning. I'm about to turn 34 - my entry into my mid-thirties. I remember being a hell of a lot younger and thinking to myself that people in their 30's really seem to have it ... sorted... together. They're no longer having to ask those great big questions - What am I doing? Where am I going? etc. And here I am thinking "how the hell do I live?". Movie quote comes to mind. American Beauty, near the start of the film when Kevin Spacey's character is narrating and describing his relationship to his wife and family:
"Janie's a pretty typical teenager. Angry, insecure, confused. I wish I could tell her that's all going to pass, but I don't want to lie to her."
That's me. Mid-thirties and realising it doesn't pass. Angry, Insecure, Confused... that's a pretty good description for the moment.

I've come across a problem. What happens with rolling stories? Rolling stories: those articles that just keep rolling over. There seems to be an update everyday. Some of those updates aren't really updates. For example, asking New Zealand's Next Top Model contestants what they would do in the trapped Chilean miners situation isn't an update. But there are those stories... they just keep on going. The one that comes to mind is the racial tirade against a taxi driver in Invercargill. Yesterday the story was the fact that the video had been released. Today police are investigating - but more background information came out. The taxi driver in question reported the incident to cops. His wife released the video as she was offended by the fact that religion was brought into question.

I don't disagree with her. The whole incident would be like me claiming that all Christians are child molesters because of the actions of a few priests. The media is biased here. If a story got report as "A liquor shop was robbed by a man who regularly attends church on Sunday" there would be outraged people all over the place. So to all of those people "concerned about what we let over our borders", grow a brain.

Back to the topic on hand. I hate the fact that stories keep rolling over and it's hard to find the precursor stories. So information feels flaky as articles make assumptions about what information you already know. What if you could link those stories together? The way to do this now is to include links to all prior stories or use tags. But then, tags would get ridiculous and getting to a post in the future would require editing ALL past stories.

There's also the problem of what to display on the front page. The update is new, the story isn't. How do you handle things like this? No really, I'm asking. What should this look like? Anyone? I really do need the help here...

1 comment:

  1. Oh god, those feelings. I'm 33 and yes to everythign. Exactly. But you already know that.

    So on to the media issue. I like where you're going with this, but I don't know the solution. I don't know that anyone's really nailed that yet. Other than providing links back to previous stories for context. I always really appreciate it when sites do that.

    ReplyDelete