Sunday, February 17, 2013

Putting the Cat Back Into the Bag

I made a huge mistake. I signed up to follow Lynda's blog via email and realised that she had as many people following her via email as I get hits in a month. So I figured I should probably do something to increase traffic. It turns out that you can ping search engines to tell 'em that your blog's changed.

Suddenly everything changed. My little over-opinionated blog has turned into a bit of a nightmare. The spam is under control (I had to tweak an option or two) but the comments. Oh ye gods. The guy who talked about going to the gym when talking about poverty. The one who's just sulked away with a horrendously negative "You don't know anything you unemployed bum!". Some people just don't like their preconceptions being challenged...

The funny bit is that I'm feeling great about life in general. I've got work on. A life outside of work and computers. I'm gaining perspective. I'm starting to look great (though desperately need a haircut - it can wait). I even ended up having a long conversation with someone on the bus the other day (something very odd for me given how awkward I can with strangers). I got the sinking feeling that perhaps I was going to be relied upon a little too much (it seems the whole people approach is greatly appreciated by quite a lot of people). I even feel like I have some sort of sense of purpose...

So the question is, is there a way to stop it? Lower the hit count? Make it so that I'm just talking to myself again where people can get a view into what I'm thinking? Get rid of the strangely negative voices off the blog? (If I'm talking to myself, then comments are voices answering back...).

Or is this it? The cat's out of the bag and the evil little fornicator just won't get the *bleep* in...

6 comments:

  1. Embrace the open Internet! Let the text flow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, a comment. I have found the problem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renedox... is that you?

      I'm starting to hate the whole "Anonymous" bit as well... The guy who sulked off - he was also Anonymous.

      Delete
  3. Wait, what? I don't have many followers?! And the only comments I get are spam - not people actually reading my blog. I'm jealous of your success now! (Lynda)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do.. or you did. The old wordpress site shows an enviable amount of followers.

      Delete
    2. So I emailed Lynda about this and it turns out that counter also includes facebook and twitter. She says it's a lie... I dunno. If those facebook and twitter people all read the post, then it's not a lie - it's a way of getting people to the individual post.

      Still - I won't be doing the whole facebook and twitter thing anytime soon.

      Delete