Friday, November 16, 2012

Manaiakalani Film Festival 2012

Just before I get into it... I found some photos from the NZOSA gala. It's just a pity they got my name wrong (Newyn Kira?!?!?). I'm now on a bit of a campaign to try and get my name associated to the award.

A couple of nights ago was the 2012 Manaiakalani Film Festival. It was a sell out! And for the 2nd year in a row, I had a little cameo. The video that I appeared in (actually it was a really bad day to let kids film me - loud shirt day and in desperate need of a shave). So here it is. My second cameo for a Manaiakalani Film Festival.


So the rest of the videos for the film festival can be seen here.

For those of you who haven't seen it, the first part of that video is based upon a video clip by "Walk Off the Earth". I kind of prefer this video over Goyte's.



I'm starting to wonder about capacity for the Film Festival. This year it was .. 9 schools and the gala event was a sell out with some people at the doors asking if they could come in with me. Next year, it'll be 11 schools. Over the course of the day, all of the kids (I think) get to go to the festival. With 9 schools that's quite an exercise in logistics. 2 more schools (actually, the cluster is gaining another 3 schools - it's just that 1 is closing down at the end of the year) is probably going to be a massive ask.

Does this mean there's the possibility that the film festival could grow? Imagine a multi-day event. And what if you could buy tickets? For myself, I was only given about a week's warning (and ended up in the cheap seats). But imagine if this could turn into something that people could see on the big screen rather than reading about it on this blog and viewing a few random videos off a website.

And this could turn into a bit of a showcase for how interesting education can be. Having kids being able to stay something to the world at large. This probably isn't as far fetched as it sounds...

No comments:

Post a Comment