Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Damn Twitter

I hate to say it, but for once, I wish I was on twitter as I think I could fit this into 140 characters or less. Sod it - I'm going to avoid that limitation and ramble a bit.

The Internet has certain faux standards - more suggestions (much like Indian road laws and much to the same effect). .org - an organisation. .govt, a government entity. .com, a commercial enterprise.

So imagine my annoyance when I see the following URL (Uniform Resource Locator - or the rather more catchy - web address): http://aotearoaisnotforsale.com/

I'm quite anal about choosing the right top level domain for sites. Aotearoa (the Maori name for New Zealand) is not for sale with a ".com" address turns me off right away. While I agree with the sentiment, the address just has me wanting to hunt down these people and punch them.

While I'm on the topic, while I was in Wellington for the New Zealand Open Source Awards (I want my name associated to it - something I'm struggling with. It seems that while my name was associated directly in the speech about the award in education, in print/text, my name is a no show) I bumped into a bunch of people I know from Auckland. They were in Wellington to protest about the housing relocation happening in Glen Innes.

Basically, huge trucks are showing up to shift houses (Houses - not contents. Houses...). Quite a few of these are houses that have been occupied by families for generations. As in Zimbabwe, the way to get rid of the poor isn't to remove houses. What I hadn't realised, and what Hone Harawira has done a lousy job of conveying, is that this isn't just happening in Glen Innes. There were people from all over the country there.

And okay, I'm not at all naive enough to think this wouldn't have happened under another government. In fact, I'm pretty sure the wheels were already turning on this project. However, I think it would have been handled a hell of a lot better under Labour. I want to make a comment about the rich white bastards in power at the moment (as a side note: I saw a video clip with a speech from Hekia Parata, the New Zealand Minister of Education at the moment - a terrible portfolio to hold. She started her speech with something about the beautiful names of the children who greeted her at the gate - something that I feel only infuriates teachers while their pay is STILL problematic) but it's implied.

The problem is that the whole process isn't currently seeing people. More housing, good thing. Displacing people. Bad thing. Pick your battles. Get the community involved and work out how this could be done and you're probably onto a winner. As things currently stand, the current government and Housing New Zealand have handled this so badly to the point that protesters are forced to remain outside of public events.

So - back to what this post is really about - a tweet:

Define oxymoron (or simply moronic): aotearoaisnotforsale.com

No comments:

Post a Comment