Saturday, May 12, 2012

A Quick Tribute To XKCD

At one stage I found I was easily spending around 3 hours a day going to my daily websites. Things like web comics, news etc. BoingBoing.net, HackADay.com, LXer.com, theDailyWTF.com (worse than failure) etc. It just goes on and on.

Recognising it as problem I've cut out almost all of them. I go to LXer.com fairly regularly. I occasionally load up theDailyWTF.com. But I ALWAYS go to xkcd.com and go through any comics I missed. Here's a tribute song to it posted on youtube.


xkcd reached an odd status a couple of years ago when it was making a point about wikipedia (I'm convinced that Randall Munroe hates Wikipedia or at the very least is determined to point out all of the flaws). Here's the comic:


I didn't think the comic was that great myself. But what happened next though was fascinating. An entry suddenly showed up on Wikipedia about the made up word "Malamanteau". But it wasn't the entry that was interesting - it was the discussion. Just how passionate people got about whether it should be included or not. I wouldn't recommend reading through it all though it's interesting to note just how long that page is.

Recently there was this:


You just know someone has had to have done it... Someone's got to have recorded themselves singing it. It turns out loads of people have. One tried to do it to "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" rather than look up "Modern Major-General" (if only we had some sort of way to easily look up tunes and information and stuff). A load of them talked or mumbled their way through it seemingly forgetting that it's a song thus sung (and most of these claimed that they did it due to requests). But one - one had horses.


Oh and I'd be remiss if I didn't include this rendition. This smug looking guy really does bring the theatre to it.


Just before you start denouncing xkcd as horribly nerdy, there's sometimes quite a bit of sentimentality:

Never

Or might describe a truth:

Pickup Artist

Potential

If you'd not seen or heard of xkcd.com before today.... You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment