Friday, January 20, 2012

SOPA/PIPA

To my great discredit, I haven't really been keeping track of what's been going on in the douchey politics that seems to accumulate around the issues of copyright and intellectual property like vegetable matter around the propellers of a docked boat.

The impression I get is that there's a plan to be able to block sites on a global scale.

A really quick read on wikipedia says that SOPA stands for "Stop Online Pirarcy Act" and PIPA, "Protect IP Act". They seem quite similar in that they're looking to block "rogue" sites. I can't help but feel some discomfort about this. Given that people have had take down notices issued for having videos of their kids dancing to a particular song on youtube and the whole idea of fair use in the form of reference has gone right out the window.

And then there's Disney... I hadn't quite realised the full extent of what they've done with extending the terms of copyright. It's interesting to note that Disney was built on public domain works. Robin Hood, Snow White, Aladdin (of course being taken from Arabian Nights aka One Thousand and One Nights - tried reading it once. I found the female bashing to be horribly off putting and so never finished it), Cinderella etc. In the meantime, they're fighting to keep as much out of public domain as humanly possible.

Which ever way you look at it, there's something really ugly happening around Intellectual Property....

I saw this today and thought I would share it.

No comments:

Post a Comment