Saturday, November 26, 2011

The Christmas Menu

Not quite December yet and I'm already thinking about the Christmas menu. Of course, the tradition has been taking a bit of a weird turn. We don't celebrate a Christmas so much as anything but. So we come up with other terms for it. Saturnalia (Although I tend to celebrate Saturnalia on the 23rd of December though the 17th is probably more apt). The day of the jolly fat "breaking and entering" man. The day the pubs are closed etc.

It's a bit of a game. I think it's just a case of everyone being a little over Christmas. I don't really do the whole family thing. Rather, I do something for a few friends - collect up the strays, have a great big meal, watch movies, fall asleep on the couch etc. The family can decide on their engagement with it all. Which normally means they'll eat at the very least. It's all very easy. I think it'd be quite different if we had kids around. That invitation is being done on Monday hopefully.

So, this is how things are looking so far in terms of a menu:
  • Snacks
    • Roasted Nuts
    • Chilli, olive oil, parsley, garlic and parmesan bread (planning on actually making the bread this year).
  • Meats
    • Indian style grilled chicken (my favourite dish as a kid)
    • Honey Soy chicken? (Little effort. More variety)
    • Possibly a herb crusted lamb
  • Vegetarian
    • A spinach, feta and caramelized onion pizza.
    • A mushroom and blue cheese pizza.
  • Sides
    • Rosemary Potatoes.
    • Beans fried in butter.
    • Possibly mashed potatoes.
  • Dessert
    • Pavlova (individual serves?) with the choice of a kiwifruit puree, passionfruit or strawberry coulis.
    • Brandi snaps with berries and custard.
I'm trying to make sure that just about everything is home cooked this year. So for the brandi snaps, I'll probably end up making baskets out of them and make them at home. So yeah - much more cooking time needed this year. Come the day of red suits, seeing a table set out with all of this stuff should be really horribly satisfying.

I guess all that needs to be done now is to find out who's coming... Oh and try out the few things I'm not that confident in cooking (pavlova and bread).

4 comments:

  1. *waves hand and confirms attendance*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm starting to wonder if I've forgotten something... something vital. Something chocolate based...

    ReplyDelete
  3. and cream for the pavlova. they're very sweet.

    maybe chocolate buttons ? satisifies my chocolate craving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cream with pavlova is implied. Normally I'd do a dark chocolate moose but I think it'd be over kill this time around. Given that the guest list is.... you, Mr, probably expect 4'ish from my family, and hopefully 2 or 3 more...

    ReplyDelete