Saturday, April 30, 2011

I Finally Gave In...

I've been struggling with a 256kbps connection for ages now. I finally gave in and updated my plan. The only thing is it's all gone horribly wrong!

Slingshot informed me that the change would happen at the next billing period. Brilliant! That's perfect. Given that I've paid up till the 18th on my old plan, this works out perfectly. Only they then decided to put the change through last night. I was less than impressed.

The issue being, although I'm paying roughly the same, I'm paying for quite different services. On one, I was paying for an unmetered connection with very limited speed. On the other, I'm paying for 20GB/month at full line speed.

So changing me over has actually caused a bit of an issue. I've been given 18GB at 256kbps. The worst of both worlds. So I complained. I wrote them an email (around 3am) saying this was simply unacceptable. I have paid up on my old contract till a certain time - I expect them to honour that. The response came back "They can't shift me back because that plan is no longer offered".

That's not my problem. It's theirs. They choose not to honour the contract! That's my issue. So either shift me back or offer me some sort of compensation - I'd be happy with 10GB for the rest of the month - half the 20GB for the half of the month that's left (liberally calling 19 days half a month). I see that as fair...

But the real issue here - have we become so used to institutionalised theft that businesses such as Slingshot feel they can do this sort of thing and not expect complaint? I guess this goes to my complaints post. And I suppose given the way the government seems to be conducting itself at the moment, it's little wonder they might think this. It's up to us to keep complaining...

I'll update this post as this little battle continues...

[Update 2/5/2011]

So I wasn't getting any joy exchanging emails. So I decided to finally call them tonight. Rather than giving me what I thought was fair, they well exceeded my expectations. I got another 50GB slapped onto my allowance! 70GB for the month. I know comparatively against the rest of the world, that's still not brilliant, but for New Zealand, where investment into cables going outside of New Zealand (that place people like to visit called "overseas") isn't an appealing commercial venture.

No comments:

Post a Comment