Saturday, March 12, 2011

Love

I can imagine Ian and Baillie both rolling their eyes as they read that heading.

It's a word. The problem with this word though, is with the definition.

What brought this post about? The other night I had sent an email to someone which had said something along the lines of "One of the things I love about her...". The following day, the friend who I'd sent the email to asked me "How drunk were you?".

Despite the fact that I was, in fact, drunk, I don't think the word was used inappropriately or that I should be embarrassed by it.

For me, the word simply means I would do anything within my power to help that person even if it is at great cost to myself.

I love my sister and dropped everything in order to play babysitter (though I don't always particularly like her).

I love my best friends - if they were in dire need, I would be there in a shot.

I also love things about people or things, though I'm not really sure how my definition fits into that.

For example, I love that one of my friends is really ambitious and wants to travel the world for work. It makes me sad that she won't be around but I would be sorely disappointed if she suddenly wanted to stay in New Zealand. It's the value of that part of her personality I wouldn't want to change. Perhaps the notion of the word love in this case is used to indicate that I wouldn't want that very value to ever change.

If beauty is in the eye of the beholder, then the meaning of love is in the mind of the person saying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment