Monday, November 22, 2010

Doing as the children are doing

I figured while the kids are blogging about the field trip on Friday, I might as well as well. A quick idea of what's going on - given that the two classes with the netbooks were going on a field trip to the beach on Friday, and they were short of adults (I'm applying the term horribly loosely to myself) I thought it a good idea to go along (along with my inability to say no).

[Quick update]
I must have gotten it wrong. I've been to a couple of the kid's blogs tonight and haven't found anything being published since their "We got our netbooks!" post. Unless they go through some sort of screening process...

Quick disclaimer: This post is kind of meant for adults. It doesn't really have anything inappropriate in there except that it's a really short step from "objectification is good" to "it's okay to be curious". While I think it is okay to be curious, others, such as parents, might not necessarily share that view.

[Expansion on disclaimer]
The curiosity thing - so much has been done in the name of curiosity. From the fairly inane looking at things we shouldn't be looking at to the more serious "I wonder if babies bounce". In other words, I just don't want to take any responsibility from people being curious.

One word - Awesome!

My fears about being trapped in what's essentially a metal can with 60 odd kids was a little ill-founded. I wouldn't recommend it by any means and I did have a premonition about having a headache but it wasn't realised. (Thanks kids).

So we got to the beach and there, waiting for us, a leggy beach blonde woman in a surf lifesaving "uniform" - basically a sun shirt and loose light shorts all in red and yellow. After a bit of shuffling about, we went up into a hall, where there were 2 more of these majestic creatures (one left at some point and was replaced by a similar one except brunette).

Before I'm accused of being sexist, we should note that attraction is a perfectly natural feeling and is really healthy. Objectifying essentially helps make us feel alive in that way that only attraction can. In other words, it's a good thing.

Okay, so they were stereo-typically attractive. The thing I have to wonder though, is the demographics of it all. Assuming a normal population to pick from, is that population skewed by those who are confident about their bodies thus not going to balk at the idea of wearing a swimsuit for most of their summer?

And I'm not saying that the swimsuits were skimpy or anything. They were anything but. But I guess we'd have to examine our own feelings towards it. Personally, I didn't really learn to swim properly because my family didn't realise the effects of teasing on me. Apparently my butt stuck out of the water and they'd laugh pointing it out (of course, I never saw what they were laughing about which makes it worse somehow), I'd become self-conscious and was more worried about my butt rather than actually learning to swim.

So life guards are more likely to be those confident and self assured people. The question is then, are attractive people more likely to be confident and self assured?

Oh and yes - there was a bit of a "Bay Watch" moment in there. One of the life guards did a full on run up and dive in. None of the bouncing that Bay Watch was famous for, which was amazingly cool. Less plastic, more ... majestic. The thing is, if you were treading water before, and then saw this, there's the possibility that you'd find yourself transfixed. Like a deer seeing twin moons. Rather than treading water, there's the possibility that you'd find yourself drowning in no time.

That was a bit of a tangent...

The life guards talked about water safety and the like. They were well rehearsed. At times they got the kids to stand up and shake themselves about. They probably needed to make it seem like a bit of a game. I'm guessing the reasoning behind it was that kids are less likely to start snoring if their blood is flowing. It did get a bit snooze inducing.

So just before lunch, we had a few games. A couple of bull rush (the tag version - there were a few kids complaining that they just couldn't hurt anyone if they couldn't tackle them) based games and that horrible memory game I've never liked. You know the one - they call out port or starboard and a few other made up things and you're supposed to run in whatever direction. I've never liked it because it's not really a game. It's just a way of getting kids to run around. If you get it wrong, there's no penalty. It's about as pointless as doing laps. It's exercise while trying to wrap it in fun, where it most definitely is not. It's just running around.

So the important bit. We're playing elimination bullrush. I'd handed the cellphones and cameras to someone else so that I could have a bit of a run around (I was feeling like the one guy who doesn't like to dance at a club who is then given everyone's handbags and jackets while they go off and dance for a while. Actually, I kind of am that guy normally.).

So I run forward, find myself stuck between 2 kids. I fake left, take off right, and get tagged... except that I have so much momentum that I fall to the sand. A load of people laugh. That's right. I've had just been taken down by a 12 year old girl. Claim to fame!

Oh, and have you ever wondered about kids and their babel fishes? You know the phenomenon. You say something to them, and they seem to hear something completely different but they'd swear black and blue that they're doing exactly what you've just told them to.

So they're being told to get out of the water. So while I'm prodding them along, I could have sworn that I'd heard "get out of the water" and I'm repeating it but instead of getting out of the water, they're on their boogie boards looking behind them towards the sea. It seems the instruction "get out of the water" is heard as "wait for waves to do the hard work for you".

By the time I got back to school I was ranting and raving about being "taken out" by a 12 year old girl and the eye candy value of the life guards. I swear, I was just like an over excited kid.

Best field trip ever...

[Amendment]
In the staff room... When one of the teachers was asked how the trip was, she responded "Ask Nevyn. He said something about loads of Bay Watch moments by the lanky one". What I had really said that there was a Bay Watch moment (singular) by the leggy American one. Babel fish translation issue? Where are the kids learning it from ;)

What did I learn at school today? If you stay quiet about being dealt to by a 12 year old girl, and talk about the legginess of surf lifesavers, they're going to find some way of embarrassing you. Who would have thought ;p

[Further Amendment]
I just found out - she wasn't American at all! She had said she was from Omaha. As in Omaha Bay. If I wasn't already embarrassed, I probably would be now.

5 comments:

  1. I shouldnt laugh, but i find some of your posts and ramblings are highly amusing. it just makes my day

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's the point. At least, I hope it is otherwise I'm doing something wrong. Oh and perhaps to make you think.

    Speaking of which, I had an email from someone today asking for a sample of the type of CV I'm proposing. I did start one in the weekend (when I wasn't sleeping which feels about the only thing I did all weekend) but then came across the education section. There's a blog post here... I'll try to get one out this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Liz, I'm laughing. So glad that aforementioned teacher suggested that we check out your version of the beach trip! Sounds like a blast all round.
    Hopefully you're enjoying getting to know our crazy kids and very grateful teachers. Keep rambling - i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Miss K

    Ahh... but unlike Liz you didn't need me to prod you in order to read the entry ;)

    I've just re-read it - so many typos! Definitely going to have to clean it up a little.

    To be fair, Mrs. Nua didn't know the post existed (I had only just written it 5 minutes earlier) when she said that we should be getting my account of the trip - she was just victim to my over excited ramblings when we had gotten back. It was lucky I could say "check out the blog" in order to avoid public speaking.

    *lmao* in terms of crazy teachers and grateful students... or is that the other way around? I honestly can't figure it out. :p

    In answer to that question - I spent the entire weekend in bed I was that exhausted. I tried to watch some TV and ended up falling asleep. I know that being in school is tiring but it always surprises me just how tiring it really is. So yeah - I don't think I would put nearly as much effort in if it wasn't something I wanted to do. We stress about the things we care about (and the things we care about make us stress). I'm still considering my priorities for next year - I can see this needing much more work but I have to eat at some point too. Love or money...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had all sorts of responses to this blog post outside of the blog.

    I watched as two people read it who sniggered the whole way through.

    Mrs. Nua came and tapped me on the knee laughing her butt off - the American bit had her in fits of laughter.

    Helen just about burst out laughing at me as I made a rather sad, limp wristed attempt to throw a milk bottle into a recycling bin which missed quite dramatically. I suspect this may have been a continuation of my being "administered" by a 12 year old girl, (I just had to go to synonym.com to find another way of saying "dispensed").

    One person said that the blog was becoming part of a normal day.

    ReplyDelete